Sunday, April 14, 2013

Finally actually in Nantes

Just a quick update tonight as I am exhausted.

I am in Nantes, for real now - the blog's name is a misnomer as Nantes might as well be a whole world away from where I'd been. Now, though, I'm really there. Here.

More specifically, I am at the Auberge de la Manu, a hostel that Jenny connected me with. I was a little nervous signing in and seeing my room for the first time and realizing that I needed to buy a lock and a towel. On the plus side, the person manning the counter spoke English, which made everything a whole lot easier.

So, I walked to the Super U a few blocks away and got what I needed then hung out in my room for a bit until my first roommate showed up. Another English speaker! A French-born Jew whose favorite language is actually Italian. He reminded me strongly of John at the Potato Eaters Gallery. We got to talking and we actually ended up going out on the town together - we each had a drink (I had the tap Grim??? and it was absolutely to die for) then wandered over the International Fest or something which was like they took any American State Fair midway and plunked it down next to the chateau in Nantes - it was a crazy juxtaposition. We wandered around a bit more chatting, grabbed a quick bite at a Tunisian hole-in-the-wall, then came back - a little earlier than I would have like but Antoine is catching the 4am flight to Tel Aviv. Oh, and he's currently working with someone else from Minnesota - small world.

Probably will spend another night here, but not 100% sure, then maybe take the train to Paris? See what tomorrow brings...

Here, have pics, all from today - bonsoir!

Me, with feet in the ocean on the coast of France. For real, homes, not for play.

Buying lunch.

Dessert. It tasted even better than it looks.

My room in the hostel; I chose the bed by the window.

Vie wout the window. (Heh, that was a typo but it's English acting like French so I'm a leave it. ;)



2 comments:

  1. Please tell me those are NOT your shorts in the "Buying lunch" picture...

    ReplyDelete